Brochures are a piece of paper folded to form a multi-paged document. Generally they have between 4 - 8 pages but they can have
more pages. Four page brochures have one fold down the middle to form four pages - a front and back plus 2 inside pages. Six page brochures have 2 folds and
when folded form a roll fold or 'z' fold. Eight or more pages can be folded multiple ways; these multiple
options can be discussed as part of the design process. When defining the brochure size they are defined
by their size when folded. You can have virtually any size you like although the standards are A6 (105 x
148mm), DL (99 x 210mm), A5 (148 x 210mm) and A4 (210 x 297mm). They can be printed on stocks ranging from
quite light to card thickness. The main concern when choosing the paper is not to have any show-through (which means the printing can
be seen from the opposite side) or it becomes quite hard to read.
Brochures can also be newsletters; it all depends on its content. Newsletters tend to be A4 in size.
When deciding which size or product will suit your needs, you need to consider several things:
- How will your customers get a copy of your promotional piece?
- Will it be displayed in your office or store?
- Will you place them on a counter or will they be in a brochure holder?
- How much information do you want to have in the piece?
- Will it be mailed out?
- If it's going to be mailed how much will it cost?
- How much time will your customer spend reading the piece?
- Will they be a captive audience in a waiting room? Or are they going to glance over it quickly?
- How many did you want printed?
Once you've answered some of these questions you can get started.